On January 11th we will have officially lived in our current house for two years. It is no longer a house to us, it has truly become our home. After six moves, this is the second longest amount of time we have lived anywhere and we love every square inch of this home (and KC).
That being said, there are still SO MANY things on my list of to-do's in our home. Even with a brand new home, making it the way we want takes time and effort, and of course, money. In the new year I have been thinking of all the things I still want to accomplish in this home and it overwhelms my brain. I have also been thinking a lot about priorities and what makes us happy. Home is my happy place. It is where I am at my best. It seems fitting to me to make some home goals for the new year.
1. Priorities. One thing I know for sure is that I have two little people who are growing like weeds around me. Steve and the kids have been, and always will be my priority, my "work", my life, before all else. All this other fun stuff I get to do everyday in the house is just icing on the cake for me. I keep telling myself I will have lots of time when they are both in full day school to complete things, maybe even take up some new hobbies. This is my last year (lump in throat) that they will both be home with me for most of the day. Next year, Drew will be in full day first grade and Kate will be in half day kindergarten. I intend to soak up every last moment at home with these two over the next year. If there are things I can't get done, oh well. If I can include them in projects, even better. Finding a balance between getting things done and having kids around has always been a part of my daily life. I think now I am simply more aware of how precious this time at home with them has become.
2. Give myself a break. I'm a Type A personality. I'm a doer and a busy body and expect a lot out of myself and those around me. I don't ever want to change that about myself, but I would like to give myself a little break this year. I know in my head what I want to get done (too much), but I know realistically that is never going to happen. I need to be better about letting things go and taking things on as they come. Messy house, happy kids, right?! Easier said than done in my world, but I am going to work on it!
3. Entertain more. I think this is a home goal of mine every year. Love your home, share it with others. Care less about things not being "done", and care more about opening our home to friends.
4. Freshen things up. After living here for two years, things have a gotten a little banged up and a few touch ups need done. I would like to clean tile grout, seal our granite countertops and backsplash, touch up several paint spots, touch up the caulk in all the bathrooms. I think chipping away at these tasks now makes you feel less overwhelmed with projects over time.
5. Live in our home. In this crazy moving life we live, we never really know what our future holds. I am guilty of not wanting to do things, hang things, complete things because I think "what is it worth if we are going to move again". The reality is, we don't know if we will ever move again or if we will move again in 6 months. We really just don't know. I owe it to myself and our family to live in the present. Live like we are never moving again. Finish all things. Either way, we will have our home the way we want it, or it will be staged to sell. I don't think we can go wrong. Something always holds me back, but this year, I plan to throw those thoughts out the window and live in the now!
6. Make a beautiful and functional space. This will always be important to me. Home is where I spend most of my time, and I want it to fit our personality and feel cozy and inviting. I think living in a space you love is so important. I think making a home practical and functional also makes day to day life easier and simpler. We put a lot of time and money into our homes, let's make them beautiful and clutter free!
Home Projects. As for specific home projects, I have started making lists for each room to stay organized and on point. The only large scale project I want to tackle this year is on/around our back patio. For the rest of the house, I would just like things to be more "finished", more details, more function, more artwork. I also really want to start working on the new office space on our first floor. The good news is, I will never run out of projects or ideas or things to work on!
Blogging. As for the blog, I plan to continue on! I love having a online diary, sharing projects, recipes, life events with all of you. The blog has become such a great outlet and motivational tool me for. I am working on another "Look for Less" challenge as we speak, and working on a little post for One Kings Lane. I am not putting any pressure on myself to have a post every day, or to feel guilty if I need a break from it. This is certainly not an income or a job for me, so I am giving myself permission to not stress about it, and keep it a happy and uplifting space for me and you! I am hoping to clean up the blog itself by adding some easy to access thumbnails of past posts. No promises as to when this will get done, but it's on the master to-do list!
This post quickly turned into lots and lots of words - sorry!
I also wanted to give a shout out to:
Knock Off Decor for featuring my CB2 Knock Off Peace Wreath Confessions of a Serial DIYer for featuring my DIY Map Ornament
Two it Yourself for featuring my DIY Gift Tags
You make this blog worthwhile and meaningful to me, thank you so much for stopping by! xo